I trimmed the panels to fit into the door frames and did a dry fit that you see here. After some final sanding, and a little touch up on the bottom of this panel with a plane, I sealed the panels with a coat of clear shellac so that the Dark Walnut Danish Oil would not penetrate the panels. This morning I unclamped the doors and trimmed them to fit exactly on the cabinet. After some hand sanding and cleaning I masked the panels with blue tape and wiped on a coat of Dark Walnut Watco Danish Oil.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
This weekend I worked on the doors for my Crafsman Tool Cabinet. I took my planes and placed them in their new homes and everything fits great. I took some nice Ambrosia Maple and resawed it to get bookmatched panels for the doors. I left the panels at 3/8th on an inch because holders will be attached to the doors.I ripped some Quartersawn white oak to 2 1/2 inches wide and the bottom stiles at 3 1/2 inches wide. I then cut a 3/8th inch wide, 1/2 inch deep groove in each piece. I then cut the mortises for the stiles into the rails at the mortiser. I cut tenons into the stiles on the table saw then trimmed the fit with a shoulder plane.
Later today I cut all the drawer fronts out of Ambrosia Maple and the drawer sides out of 1/2 inch Baltic Birch cabinet plywood. After a coat of amber shellac and some wax I'll hand the doors and next weekend its on to handcutting some dovetails.
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. J. R. R. Tolkien