Sunday, September 28, 2008

Stickley Footstool, Part 3

The Stickley footstool is finished and in place next to the extra large Morris chair. I finished it to match the chair and used matching fabric for the cushion. Pam was very happy when I bought it into the house and immediately curled up with her book in the chair.
One of the most rewarding things about being a woodworker is making high quality furniture for your home. I'm slowly filling my home and those of my friends with furniture that I've made. You can't find furniture like this in most stores and if you do you can't afford it. It gives me a huge amount of satisfaction to take rough boards and transform them into fine furniture.
As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it. - Mahatma Gandhi

2 comments:

Captain Skully said...

I'm concerned about my Morris chair being too short. Can you point me in the right direction for "oversized" plans? Love both!

Brad Ferguson said...

Skully,
I've come up with my own plan for this morris chair based on the original New Yankee Workshop plan. I first used it to make a Paddle Arm Morris Chair plan than I expanded the width of that plan. I've never seen a comercial plan for a wide morris chair. The front of the seat for a chair should be 16-18 inches off the floor to be comfortable for the average person.